Monday, January 10, 2005

Out Of Love Song/Poem

Speaking about love poetry these last two weeks I feel like commenting on an example of out-of-love poetry (along the lines of doom and gloom).
One of my favourite bands right now is Muse. If you don't know who Muse is, I suggest you find out and listen. If you enjoy them, great, if not, great as well; just don't tell me they sound like Radiohead! Anyway...They have a song called "Falling Away with You." When I first read the title, I thought it was going to be a love ballad, or some other kind of slow song. When the song started playing, I heard it was in a major key (the major keys are generally associated with happiness and other positive things), and had a pretty sounding melody; I thought for sure I was in for a cheesy love song.
Boy was I wrong!
Here are the lyrics, reading them without the music does not take away from the melancholiness that Matthew Bellamy (singer and songwriter of this song) is telling us about in the song.

Falling Away With You
I can’t remember when it was good,
Moments of happiness elude,
Maybe I just misunderstood.

All of the love we left behind,
Watching the flash backs intertwine.
Memories I will never find.

So I'll love whatever you've become.
Forget the reckless things we've done,
I think our lives have just begun;
I think our lives have just begun

And I’ll feel my world crumbling
I'll Feel my life crumbling now.
I'll Feel my soul crumbling away,
Falling away...
Falling away with you.

Staying awake to chase the dream.
Tasting the air you’re breathing in,
I hope I won’t forget a thing.

Promise to hold you close and pray,
Watching the fantasy decay.
Nothing will ever stay the same.
Nothing will ever stay the same.

And all of the love we threw away;
And all of the hopes we’ve cherished fade.
Making the same mistakes again,
Making the same mistakes again.

Memories I will never find,
Memories I will never find.

It's pretty sad and melancholic (and pretty poetic too, no?). I feel for the guy. When I hear this song or read the lyrics, I imagine a guy in a relationship who wants to work things out with his sweetie, but knows, at the end of the day, the relationship must end. It was good while it lasted, but now both parties have changed too much to continue. Having said that, the first line is very interesting: "I can't remember when it was good..." Maybe this was a relationship of infatuation, that was lust driven and never anything more. Also, looking at the technical aspects, it is very rhythmic as well. You might not be able to see that when reading the poem, but when you hear the song, you'll hear how Bellamy annunciates almost every syllable; you'll also hear how the music follows that same rhythmic pattern of the syllables.
Listen to the song; how it's sung and how the music helps to create meaning.


Let me know what ya'll think?

P.S.: To all my fellow music geeks: The juxtaposition of the major key signature and the dark lyrics make for one very interesting musical experience. Listen to the synthy-guitar and bass lines in the chorus...Delay anyone?

7 Comments:

Blogger Josh C said...

Oh man I've never heard that song but those lyrics really speak. For all of us who have been caught up in the rush of a new relationship and thought it was absolute love, but then realize the person falls well short of who you thought they were... this is the anthem. But you're so caught up in your feelings, you're willing to compromise, just to keep it going.

"So I'll love whatever you've become"

The desperation of a decaying affair. It's songs like this that make me embrace my singlehood.

PS. Muse doesn't sound at all like Radiohead! They may sound SLIGHTLY like Pilate, Coldplay, Stereophonics, Radiohead... wait what were we talking about again?

January 12, 2005 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Sidd Rawte said...

Yes, I feel the same way about the song as you, Josh. It captures alot of emotions!
But try and get your hands on the song and listen to it, the music REALLY connets that sense of despair.

By the way, thank you for your list of simlar bands. They are all good; if we can get more people to listen to bands like them, the world would be a better place!

January 12, 2005 at 4:13 PM  
Blogger The Poole Boy said...

One Time At Band Camp....

sorry I couldn't resist. I know nothing about music except for that I listen to it. It is hard to leave a comment when my thoughts matched yours in every aspect. You did everyone a favour by posting this song. Nearly everybody in their lives will experience a relationship like this one and it helps knowing that you're not the only poor soul out there. I am going to find that song and give it a listen.

January 12, 2005 at 8:24 PM  
Blogger Annie Wong said...

I haven't heard the song, but I’m reading it w/ Snow Patrol playing in the back. Don't worry; they're not integrating too much. This is a really tough poem still, for anyone whose ever felt faded. And have something just decay, and gone.
I love music, but I think if I listen to a song like this, knowing the words, I’d become too obsessed with it. Until I forget the lyrics, that's all I need.

Night,
Annie.

January 14, 2005 at 12:35 AM  
Blogger sue_sue said...

I'm gonna have to go out on a limb and interpret the song a bit differently than you have.

I really don't think that he has given up at all on his sweetie! The good times that they started with mayhap be behind them now but he's still gonna give it all that he's got. I mean who says: "So I'll love whatever you've become/ Forget the reckless things we've done/ I think our lives have jsut begun." and walks away?

I think that he may feel slightly defeated but this huge task that stands before him (ie. loving someone that has changed or may not love him anymore) but he's willing to give it a go! Now that's bloody romantic and slightly idiotic, but hey love drives us to do crazy stuff.

sv

ps: as a disclaimer Sidd, I totally stole your idea for my own blog. Sorry, but I couldn't think of anything else to post about other than a song...it's a different one at least =)

January 17, 2005 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Sidd Rawte said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

January 19, 2005 at 9:41 PM  
Blogger Sidd Rawte said...

I think, Sue, your ideas about the song are pretty interesting. It is hard to ignore those lines! A way to bring the two sides together is to interperate it as poem about a desparate love. A love that is hopeless and doomed to fail. Yet, the powers that be and human nature, force us to love the ones we love.
See my blog on "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind."

January 19, 2005 at 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home